I can't keep doing this,
I gave you everything that I had
My car and my gas,
my wallet my cash,
everything that you asked.
And all I wanted was to be
so tell me
Why are you so stingy....
Let me begin by saying that this is not like the typical letter you receive. I know that you may be hesitant to read this letter because of the abuse, scorn, and downright meanness that people have displayed to you in written letters like this one. But let me assure you that is not the purpose of this letter. This is a THANK YOU NOTE.
To be clear I am not thanking all of you. I know that some of you are truly hateful individuals who want to bring down others. And to you I will have to write a different letter. But this letter is for those who have been labeled a “hater” for dissenting. It is for:
- The mother who was called a hater for not wanting her child to date an unqualified bum of a man or an unsupportive, manipulative, unambitious (or wrong ambitions) type of woman
- For the sports fan who is called a hater for explaining why Jordan (or Lebron if you are under 25) is the best basketball player alive
- For the person who dared to say they didn’t like another persons shoes and were called a hater for it
- For the person who wanted to eat somewhere different from the rest of the group.
- For the person who held their ethics when everyone else wanted to cheat
- For the person who explained why a plan won’t work after everyone else decided it would
- For the person who doesn’t like spaghetti
- For the person who dared to have a different political party from their friends or family
- For the person called a hater for not liking a musical artist
- For the person who said that Big Bird is cooler than Elmo
To all of you I say THANK YOU!! Thank you for your dissent that leads to Janusian Thinking and creativity. Thank you for your disclosing observations that stop negative information cascades and tyranny. Thank you for your caring heart. Caring enough to express to those you care about where you differ. (Check out Be A Hater: A Polemic on the Hater Mindset for more). Thank you for being… well …A HATER (since that’s what culture calls it).
I know that in today’s world this has been hard for you. In this world where people can’t stand disagreement or dissent. Where to them these things are as bad as hating. So in this midst of this crazy world, let this small letter from one hater to another serve as encouragement for you. I see you hater. KEEP DOING YOUR THING J
For More on Haters check out
BE A HATER: A Polemic on the Hater Mindset